This is the third in a series of posts from Lexmark security experts, designed to help you maximize print and network security.
With increased usage of mobile devices and the need to support BYOD initiatives, IT departments must strike a balance between providing users with the tools they need to boost efficiency while minimizing the risk of intrusion across networks and connections.
Here are six tips to keep your network and imaging devices secure:
- Digital certificates — Certificate authority (CA) certificates allow a device to trust and validate the credentials of another system on the network.
- Port Filtering — Filtering increases control over network device activity and is used to configure devices and filter out traffic on specific network ports.
- IP address Filtering — Network devices are configured to allow TCP/IP connections only from a specific list of TCP/IP addresses.
- Role based access control — Individual users and groups use network name and password credentials to access devices, and the device determines if a user has appropriate access.
- Contact and contactless card authentication – Imaging devices should support a number of contact and contactless card solutions for basic badge authentication when a user’s identity is linked to an ID badge.
- Firmware updates — Firmware updates should be transmitted over the network so devices can be updated together and simultaneously.
“Our understanding of network environments and relevant security threats, particularly in relation to printing, gives us the know-how to create unique solutions that secure your data in every possible way,” said Eric McCann, Lexmark manager and security expert. “This is a capability we’ve proven by overcoming security challenges in some of the most highly regulated organizations and industries worldwide.”
With viruses like WannaCry becoming more commonplace, it is important to look at all digital on-ramps into an enterprise need. Following these tips, and the others we share this week, can help provide insight into your enterprises’ specific security needs. Look for more tips soon.
Learn more about Lexmark’s full spectrum of security solutions here.